Articles written by Darryl McCullough (unless otherwise noted)

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Doc's Story

For the Queen of the Indoors, the first taste of Nam Doc Mai mango was a transcendent experience. And despite the disrespect it endures from some mango snobs, NDM is one of my favorites as well. So early on, it was on our must-have list.

Just about three years ago to the day, I found Doc at Charlie's. Short and compact, with low branching and a stout little trunk. Doc came home with me and joined Mallika, Coco(nut Cream), and Glenn in the east grove. Just a couple of months later, though, I acquired my Maha Chanok. Dazzled by all the raves I had heard about Maha, I made the dubious decision to give it Doc's spot.

Here's Maha today. It's grown well enough, but that spot is a bit shady and Maha didn't have quite enough punch to hold onto its fruit this past spring. Maybe next year…

As for Doc, he moved to a spot near the drip line of the big oak tree in our main view. It looked like there would be enough sun, and mangos are tough, so I figured Doc would be able to compete.

Mangos are tough, indeed, but big live oaks are really tough. Doc hung in there, but managed only one modest growth flush in two years. The Queen of the Indoors is patient, but this was getting ridiculous.

By last fall, I had cleared out lesser occupants from some of the prime northwest grove spots--- full sun, irrigated, mounded and surrounded by deep mulch. After years of shabby treatment, Doc had earned one, so in early December, he moved again.

I've heard that fruit trees need sun and water, and by golly, it's true! When spring came, Doc exploded with a huge growth flush that doubled his size, followed by another. He's been tipped and is still compact, but is making up for lost time.

In fact, Doc can't even wait for next spring and has bloomed here in August. I preach the stripping of fruit from young trees so that they can put all their energy into growing, but if Doc holds onto fruit from this blooming, I might have to leave one on just to see what happens.



As for that spot near the oak tree, there is something tough enough for it: this jatropha. A wonderful everblooming native plant. The spot vacated by the jatropha is now occupied by Elsie, the Lemon Zest mango tree, who also moved from the east grove. But that's a story for another day.

I think I've finally got everybody in the right place.

No comments:

Post a Comment