Articles written by Darryl McCullough (unless otherwise noted)

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Rosie And The Snowbirds

The Suncoast region from Bradenton down to Englewood has the highest percentage of baby boomers of any comparable metropolitan region in the country. These include many of Sarasota's “snowbirds”, folks who spend the cooler part of the year here and the warmer part in more temperate climes.

There are even some ultra-snowbirds, who find Sarasota winters too cold and opt for summers here and winters in the tropics. I used to consider them totally bonkers, but now that my blood's thinned out and I shiver when temperatures plunge into the 50's, they are seeming lot more reasonable. But I digress.

Recently, I was able to help two pairs of snowbirds with their fruit tree needs. The tale I'm about to narrate is an abridged version of what actually happened, but it's complicated enough as is.

It began with the annual silent auction fundraiser at my church. Members offer all manner of items and services to the highest bidder, with proceeds going to support the spiritual enterprise. Ever eager to get more fruit trees growing, I always donate the service of selecting, buying, and planting a fruit tree appropriate to the winner's needs.

Last year's highest bidder for my services was a snowbird couple who live here most of the year, but visit Colorado for the summer months. They love mangos, but don't have a lot of space for fruit trees, so an early-season semi-dwarf mango was the perfect choice. I acquired a very pretty 3-gallon Rosigold, and contacted Mrs. Colorado to arrange the transfer and planting. After an enthusiastic exchange of messages, she went silent and I didn't hear from her for a few weeks. I figured she had a good reason, perhaps health or family problems that were keeping her occupied.

Time went by. Rosie was getting along fine, soaking up sun with several papayas that I'm going to plant next spring. The annual Transition Sarasota fundraiser was coming up, featuring a multiple-prize Chinese auction. As a Transition Sarasota Board member, I was expected to come up with one of the prizes. So many things you can do with a Rosigold mango tree! I put Rosie on the prize list.

At that point, of course, Mrs. Colorado reappeared, very apologetic for not getting back to me sooner. I told her Rosie was committed to a new destination, but I would look for another Rosigold. I made a couple of unsuccessful inquiries, and put the matter aside for a while.

Rosie's big night came, and her winning raffle ticket belonged to a couple, new Transition Sarasota members from Seattle. Chatting with them, I learned that they are snowbirds in town only from December to March.

“Aha,” I said, “your Rosigold will fruit early in the mango season, but that's rarely early enough to be during your stay. How would you like to swap it for a nice loquat tree that will fruit during the winters?” The Seattle's thought that sounded fine.

The swap was made, and now a handsome Christmas loquat is growing at the Sarasota home of Mr. and Mrs. Seattle. Rosie had a reunion with her papaya friends, and stayed with them for a few days before going off to live with the Colorado's.

Sometimes things just work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment