Articles written by Darryl McCullough (unless otherwise noted)

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Message Received

It's a little more than a year since the passing of Pete Ray, one of many who made the MRFC the great club it is today. Our paths only crossed for a couple of years near the end of his life, but I learned a lot from him. He took me on a personal tour of his fabulous collection of fruit trees, and last year he gave me several trees and shrubs that I hold special.

Pete also encouraged me to take over his blog, despite my status as a fruit tree beginner. Some days I still feel like one, but the challenge of coming up with a weekly something that somebody out there might find worth reading has been a great motivator for me to learn and keep learning.

Christmas is a time when most of us think back to earlier days, and remember the people we knew along the way who gave us something we still carry inside. Even though I won't ever forget these folks, I often receive little reminders from them, and last week Pete sent me this one on a hibiscus plant that came from his collection. There are many beautiful flowers, but I don't think there are any more elegant than a hibiscus at that perfect moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment