Articles written by Darryl McCullough (unless otherwise noted)

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Coconut Cream

Let's talk about Coconut Cream, one of a slew of mango varieties to emerge from Walter Zill in Boynton Beach. I've had one in the ground since August, 2013. I stripped its fruit and tipped it the past two seasons, but by the end of this summer it should be my height with close to a 2-inch trunk, so I hope for production next season.

I tasted my first Coconut Cream mango last Monday, courtesy of MRFC Secretary Josh Starry, who acquired some of the fruit on Pine Island. It was an excellent mango, indeed. The texture is fiberless and indeed could be called creamy. The flavor has a pleasant but not overpowering element of coconut.

Of course the Coconut Cream variety has been discussed at the Tropical Fruit Forum. One thread begins with a poster euphoric over his first tasting of the fruit. His description:
As for the taste, it was absolute perfection. I love anything coconut flavored and this mango tasted so much like coconut. I couldn't believe how strong the coconut flavor was in this Mango. It was also completely fiberless and super creamy; it felt as though it left a buttery sensation that coated the inside of my mouth (no complaints here). There was no chalkiness, woodiness, or even scant fiber. Zill's truly created a masterpiece.

It was the best mango I have ever tasted and I am sure that this was not even a Coconut Cream mango at its best. I am so looking forward to tasting a fully grown and properly ripened Coconut Cream mango.
(The next poster on the thread quipped: But did you like it?)

As on most discussion boards, the TFF crowd never agrees on anything, and the dissenting opinions are there to be found:
When I first tried the CC mango, it smelled heavenly. I was impressed that it actually did have a creamy, coconutty flavor. Eating it by itself, with no other mangos on the table, it was delicious... as well as unique and special. That combined with the buzz surrounding it made me feel like it was a top mango.

At the Palm Beach Rare Fruit Council tasting a couple weeks ago... one thing that struck me was how the E-4 mango tasted way more coconutty and tropical. It was like E-4 was "the Real Coconut Cream." Then when trying CC alongside several other tasty mangos... I realized that there were other mangos that tasted better. The CC was still excellent but it paled in comparison to top tier fruits like Lemon Zest and Fruit Punch that really inspired my tastebuds.
Now for one of the forum's most noteworthy experts. Often rude and bullying, but not easily impressed and he does know his mangos:
I have eaten umpteen (way too many to count) Coco Cream over the last few years from well established trees (not 3 to 4 year old plantings from its 3 gallon release) and in a word, yes, they are outstanding and top tier. As with all mangoes, they do have their flaws. They have a very high sugar content and they go from ripe and delicious to overripe and somewhat fermented somewhat rapidly.
You can take your pick. Many factors go into the taste of a fruit, and even the same tree can vary from year to year with weather conditions, so fine gradations seem rather meaningless. One thing is for sure--- all except coconut-haters should find this a delicious mango.

5 comments:

  1. I have a coconut cream mango tree has 6" trunk has been producing mangoes for 3 years. I have been very disappointed in the production of this tree. I have gotten 3 mangoes first year,6 mangoes the second year and it looks like 2 mangoes this year. everything I read says it is a good producer. I have 2 other trees the same size a glenn that produced 50 mangoes last year and a kent that produced 60 mangoes last year. the coconut cream are very good but very poor production so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our CC took 4 years to really start producing well. It was our favorite tasting mango this past season.
      -CW

      Delete
  2. I have a Mango questions, please...I discussing with our local nursery I was advised that the Mango Tree that I grew from seed 4 years ago that is 9 ft tall, will not fruit... May I ask you, is it best to buy grafted trees. I couldn't imagine a seed from a fruit will not produce. But I would like fruit within the next 1yr if possible. Our local Nursery has a Coconut Cream & Peach Cobbler Mango Tree for purchase, that I was thinking of replacing these. But, I hate to destory the Mango trees that are over 9 ft already. Please advise, thank you... Here in Ft. Myers Shore, Us Florida Coconuts, Maria & Vinny..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria and Vinny,
      Most mango seedlings do not produce good tasting fruit, unless it is a clone grown from a polyembric seed. Mangos are best grown as graced trees for two reasons - they fruit more quickly and the fruit will be of known good quality from the grafted parent tree. Coconut Cream and Peach Cobbler are both great tasting fruits. Coconut Cream was our favorite mango this past summer.
      -CW

      Delete
  3. Coconut cream sounds like a winner, by any chance somebody could sell some cuttings/scions for grafting purposes? Thanks

    ReplyDelete